Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Long time since posting!

So sorry for being such a bad writer the past week! I can't believe how time flies! It's been one of the busiest trips yet! We've been out and about all day and when I get back home it's usually really late and unfortunately I am in 4 online classes for my MPH which means I am up all night doing homework! I really miss being able to write about the days! I have been keeping track and I'll post each day's blog one by one as I finish them! For now, I'll let you know that we are safe and happy!

I'll give a brief overview of what we've done so far.....We have done quite a bit of work since Thursday. We shopped for Little Angel's orphanage. We ended up finding shoes, backpacks, house shoes, cooking utentsils, and over 80 kilos of food for them! I can't wait to tell you all about it! We tried to see the Woolies on Thursday, but when we got there, we basically had to say hello and then leave....it was super sad but it's all because of some people following the rules and some people not. I'm not sure what I think of having the kids at Watoto right now. But, we did get a pass and this Saturday we will be going to see them for real! Yay!! On Friday we spent most of the day shopping for things that we needed. Saturday was a full day at Mbende village compiling information from the caregivers. We had an interesting ride home with breaks that weren't exactly working properly, so we drove at a snail pace for 4 hours instead of a decent pace for 1! Sunday was a great church service and visiting Katanga slum orphanage and Nantale's orphanage. It took some time, but I think we got all of the information we needed! Then we checked out the culture show which is always a treat! Monday we went around town getting things organized and ordering more medicine. We tried to see how much a fence at Little Angels will cost, but it's going to be at least $600 which is more than it is worth. Maybe some other trip it will be a good project! We delivered all the things we bought on Monday, which was awesome! The house mom was so excited! She was just like a little kid! Yesterday (Tuesday) we visited an orphanage that has 293 kids. We were planning on enrolling them in the study, but since Angella helped them find a public health nurse to volunteer time to help them, they no longer fit the profile of the study. It's really unfortunate because they don't really have the money to provide all the medicine, but they have just enough and they have the education and training that the public health nurse provides. I can't wait for a day when we aren't doing a study and instead just going around and giving away medicine! We did end up donating buckets (literally) full of medicine for them. It would be a great place to go if someday I have friends that want to do a building project or some teaching or community events with the kids. (Every one of the kids gave us a hug as they came home from school!) I really liked that orphanage! Today we are going to another orphanage with about 80 children and returning to Agape orphanage to provide medicine and deliver the sign that Isaac made! I am hoping that tonight will be a night that I don't have to worry about doing homework and I can catch up on giving you all the details! For now, here are a few of my favorite pictures from the past 5 days!!





No comments:

Post a Comment