Tuesday, July 24, 2012

From the Town of Bedrock.....

Yesterday was such a long day! I was not expecting to be so worn out from it, but I was exhausted when I got home!

We started out around 9 at Agape. Isaac decided to stay there and help dig the hole. It needs to be at least 10 feet deep and I think 1.5 meters in diameter. This would be really easy to do if we were at home with all the great equipment like the stuff I saw when I was watching them do work on my aunts yard, but the only equipment we have available is manpower! Apparently it was taking around an hour per foot of hole and even longer as they got deeper and had to throw the sand and clay farther. I was impressed that they dug so far in one day!

As for Dennis and I, we got to be passengers on all the trips to the mines. I had no idea what we were getting ourselves into. First of all, we ended up in a big deisel truck traveling on super bumpy dirt roads for over an hour one way. We ended up going to the top of a beautiful hill overlooking Lake Victoria. It was a rock quarry where all of the stone comes from. It seriously reminded me of the quarry on the Flintstones. The only difference was that Fred and Barney got to use dinasaurs to help them lift the rocks! These people carry the rocks and throw them with only the use of their arms and legs! It's incredible to imagine all of the work they do for very little money! There are many women who are paid to break the rocks into aggregate size. They sit down on a pile of large rocks and just start hammering with a small sized hammer until they break all of them into the small size. It's super hot because the quarry in on the side of a large hill. It's dangerous because there is not protection from the falling rock. It's not a great job, but I am thankful that it gets done by somebody. It made me really appreciate how things are done here. It amazing to me that there are so many new buildings in the past year and a ton of changes, yet they majority of the work is still done with all manual labor all the way from making the bricks and mixing cement, to hauling beams and windows up on scaffolding made of long thin logs. I was truly amazed at the thought!


We spent the entire day until around 8 pm getting the loads of rock and dirt. Joshua, the man in charge thought it was a good idea to go with and make sure we got the proper materials. It is common for the men to get the wrong material and charge you for a higher quality. This way we got to have a fun adventure and ensure our materials.

I am making this a little short because we are trying to get an early start on working at Agape today! I will post more of the pictures on facebook or something later!!







No comments:

Post a Comment