Wednesday, August 15, 2012

4 Days Left!

Ahhh! Yesterday when I went to take my Malorone in the morning, I realized that I only had 4 pills remaining from my daily doses. (I keep the extra 7 that I need to take at home separately so I can easily check a pill count to see if I forgot a pill or not) That's insane! My total trip is 40 days long and I can't believe it is nearly over! In addition, we have a LOT to do in the next few days!

The entire day yesterday was devoted to Little Angels. We decided to throw them a bit of a party to have a fun day. In the late morning, JB again took my mom and I to the supermarket to get things like soap, toothpaste, schoolbooks and a few other random things. Then we returned to the Kalarway food market to fill the rest of the car. I realized I forgot to take a picture of how full it was! We had 18 blankets, 18 sheets, 18 backpacks, 36 pairs of shoes and all kinds of other things we had purchased at the market. Then we added a bunch of matoke, potatoes, tomatoes, cabbage, 10 kilos each of rice, beans, and sugar, mangoes, and cooking oil. It was awesome to be able to give it all away. I am very grateful that my mom was blessed with this extra money over the past year that she has been saving to do these sorts of things with.

The kids here really are great. They were so excited to help carry in all of the things. We helped them pick out shoes and put on their new bedsheets and blankets. Our only problem was with the school shoes. I have no idea why it was a problem, but for some reason, none of the younger kids could find shoes that fit. I guess the method of marking feet on a piece of paper isn't all that accurate after all! In the past it has worked out great and it worked for the plastic house shoes so maybe it was just the lady at the other place that didn't do it right. We are hoping that we can take a short trip to the market again on Friday to exchange them! In addition, we need to buy a few things for Nantale's orphanage.

The big deal for us was buying some beef to eat with matoke! My mom went to the butcher with Judith to go and pick it out and I am so glad that I wasn't there! I have forever said I won't get meat from the butcher shops with meat hanging from them all day because they are always surrounded by black flies and they are so smelly. Unfortunately, I found out that the meat that comes from them is delicious! It turns out that the cow was probably butchered in the morning and the meat is super fresh. In addition, the boys at Little Angels cut up vegetables and added seasoning to make it amazing. I am not fully convinced that I will continue to buy meat this way, but I am less grossed out by the idea of it!

My mom also went and got a huge bag of charcoal. JB went with her and he said the woman had not sold any charcoal all day, let alone the entire bag. Usually people just buy enough for a day or two at a time. What we bought will last the orphanage over a month! The bag is seriously at least a couple feet taller than me. Again, just like yesterday, it was delivered on a bicycle and my mom was really impressed. Well, actually, I am always impressed by bicycle deliveries, too!

All in all it was a great day with these kids. They were really excited about all the new things that we brought them and they enjoyed their good dinner. All of them are well behaved and we are starting to really know all of their personalities. I do love these children very much and I am going to be super sad to leave them again for another year. The thing is, we never know what can happen. Martin, one of the kids from Little Angels died from a lightening strike. One year, one of the kids we knew died from malaria or a bacterial infection (nobody really knows). The original woolies had to be taken from their home to go to Watoto. We just really don't know what will happen in a year. In this case, it will be greater than a year because I won't have the money (and likely not the time) to go back at all in 2013, which breaks my heart a little. I just pray that God will keep them safe, well fed, and loved by the people that are able to see them every day.





Today we are headed back out to Kayunga at House of Peace. We asked what they needed and Pastor told us that food was their biggest concern so it is back to the market for us! We are praying for good prices and easy access to the food we need. It's only about an hour to Kayunga town, but it is an hour or two to get the rest of the way to the village! It's going to be a long travel day but I'm totally looking forward to introducing my mom to this place!


No comments:

Post a Comment